Russell Brand is being charged with rape and sexual assault in the U.K.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed in a release Friday that the comedian, 49, had been charged with rape, indecent assault, oral rape and two counts of sexual assault. A first court appearance is scheduled for May 2.
Detectives in the U.K. began investigating Brand in September 2023 after receiving a number of allegations, the release revealed. The tips followed a growing body of reporting in the British press that accused Brand of inappropriate sexual behavior.
Brand has previously denied any wrongdoing. USA TODAY has reached out to the actor’s rep for comment.
Russell Brand denies ‘very hurtful’ assault allegations in Tucker Carlson interview
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
The charges stem from a series of alleged incidents in the late 1990s and early 2000s: a rape in 1999, an incidental assault in 2001, an oral rape and sexual assault in 2004 and another sexual assault between 2004 and 2005, according to Metropolitan Police.
“The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers,” Andy Furphy, a detective superintendent with the Metropolitan Police, said in the release. “The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.”
Russell Brand, Katy Perry and why women are expected to comment when men are accused of abuse
The charges against Brand follow a formal apology given by the BBC to employees in January over its handling of harassment complaints against the comedian during his tenure at the network.
The British news organization published the results of a review into Brand’s conduct, revealing that power dynamics at play created a breeding ground for Brand’s “unacceptable” behavior.
Brand, who served as a presenter on BBC’s 6 Music and Radio 2 between 2006 and 2008, first fell under scrutiny in 2023 after a spate of women accused the actor of emotional and sexual abuse.
The accusations of wrongdoing at the BBC included Brand exposing his genitals to a woman in a bathroom shortly before recording a segment for his radio show in which he joked about the encounter. The woman was not a BBC employee but worked in the same building as the company’s Los Angeles bureau.
Another claim, made by a woman who said she had a three-month relationship with Brand when he was a presenter for Radio 6, alleges he used to have a car pick her up at school or her grandmother’s house and bring her to his home. She was 16 at the time while Brand would have been in his 30s.
“What is clear is that many BBC staff and freelancers, especially in more junior roles, found Russell Brand demanding and difficult to work with and his behavior extreme, but all felt that there was no point in complaining as they believed they would not be listened to and, rightly or wrongly, that Russell Brand as a high-profile presenter had the support of the station management,” wrote Peter Johnston, the BBC Director of Editorial Complaints and Reviews.
Long a controversial figure, Brand has since fallen out of public grace amid reports of alleged rape and assaults. In the years since he has taken a religious turn, announcing plans last year to be baptized and using his social media to dip into conspiracy circles, spreading unfounded theories on topics ranging from 9/11 to the COVID vaccine.
If you or someone you know has experienced sexual violence, RAINN’s National Sexual Assault Hotline offers free, confidential, 24/7 support to survivors and their loved ones in English and Spanish at: 800.656.HOPE (4673) and Hotline.RAINN.org and en Español